We are pleased to announce that we have hired two new members of the Center School District team. Principal Selection Committees, made up of teachers, staff, students, parents and administrators worked to review applications and interview candidates for both the Center High School and Center Middle School positions. With the approval of The Center School District Board of Education, Mr. Mark Wiegers, Ed. S, has been selected to lead Center High School and Dr. Fred Skretta has been chosen to lead Center Middle School as the new principal.
- Graduation Ceremony Streaming Information
- Senior Guide
- Jostens Information
- Project Graduation
- Scholarship Information
- ASVAB Testing Info and Graduation Requirements
- End of Senior Year Schedule
- Cap & Gown Pictures
Because health guidelines require reduced capacity seating, we will be live streaming the ceremony. The live stream can be viewed on the Center YouTube Channel:
CHS Senior Guide for the Class of 2021
Link for the interactive Senior Guide: https://www.smore.com/5kanr
Graduation Under the Stars!
Senior Guide to Graduation 2021
Center High School will be having our graduation ceremony on Monday, May 24, 2021 at Starlight Theatre. The information below is important, so please read through it carefully.
It is important to remember we will follow whatever guidelines are set forth by Starlight Theatre, even if their guidelines are more stringent than City, State, and Federal government agencies. Please know that anyone not willing to comply with safety guidelines will not be admitted to the graduation ceremony.
Ceremony Preparation (Directives/Attire/COVID-Mandates/Pictures)
· The ceremony itself begins at 7:00 pm but graduates need to arrive at Starlight Theatre by 5:45pm. Be sure to take your gown out of the wrapping early and let it hang in a steamy bathroom or iron it on a low setting to get the creases out before the day of graduation.
· Graduates who are being dropped off or are driving themselves may enter through Gate 3. All other guests will park in the Zebra Lot and enter through Gate 8.
· Graduates should head to the front seating area and find your seat.
· It is important that you do NOT bring anything in with you that you will not carry with you the entire evening. There is no place to leave belongings during the ceremony. Please leave all valuables in the trunk of your vehicle.
· Please wear Church or business appropriate clothing. Jeans, flip flops, slides, and /or tennis shoes are not allowed. Ladies, please be aware the slope is very steep for the processional and extremely high heeled shoes might be dangerous. If you are not dressed appropriately, with the proper shoes, you will NOT be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
· Seniors will be allowed to decorate their caps this year within strict guidelines as follows: There can be no profanity or illegal substances, or references and all decorations must be in good taste. Administration reserves the right to find the decorations on a cap unacceptable. Should this happen, the student will not have a cap to wear during the ceremony.
· At this time masks have been mandated by Starlight Theatre. CHS will be providing masks for the Class of 2021, but please feel free to wear your own. Everyone will be required to wear a mask while at the venue. Graduates will be allowed to remove their masks when they hand their name card to the announcer and while they walk across the stage, but masks will need to be replaced as you leave the stage.
· Grad Images will be taking pictures during the ceremony when you receive your diploma, and a posed portrait as graduates leave the stage. They will be available for purchase directly from GradImages.com
· Tickets: Students must attend Graduation rehearsal and the Honors & Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, May 18th before they can pick up their tickets. Each student will receive 6 tickets. Tickets will have seat numbers and families will sit together in blocks of 6. All guests must sit in their assigned seats.
· Ticket blocks will be distributed randomly. Students will draw a letter and they will be given the ticket block that corresponds to that letter.
· The theatre will open for seating at 6:15 and the ceremony begins promptly at 7:00pm. Please remind your guests not to be late. NO ONE will be allowed to enter after 7:20pm.
· Because health guidelines require reduced capacity seating, we will be live streaming the ceremony. The live stream can be viewed on the Center YouTube Channel:
· To ensure the safety of all guests, Starlight has enacted a new Clear Bag Policy to minimize touch points during the pandemic. Bags cannot be larger than 12” x 12” x 6” and must be clear to be allowed in the venue.
· Starlight reserves the right to inspect persons, parcels or clothing capable of concealing or carrying prohibited items into the venue in situations where health, safety or well-being may be compromised. More extensive inspections may be conducted, including pat-downs and use of magnetic wands.
· Also, guests are not allowed to bring in food, drinks, noise makers, confetti, signs, or balloons.
When: Monday, May 24, 2021
Graduates arrive at 5:45pm
Graduate entry at Gates 3 & 8
Ceremony starts at 7:00pm
No admittance after 7:20pm
Where: Starlight Theatre
4600 Starlight Rd,
Kansas City, MO 64132
Guest Entry at Gate 8
Parking in the Zebra Lot
Jostens Contact Info:
Hours: 9am - 4:45pm
9584 Marion Ridge Drive
Kansas City, MO 64137
Jostens Senior Order Deliveries
Pick up your cap and gown after Senior checkout on May 14th
Jostens plans to be here on Friday, May 14th from 3-5 pm to deliver senior cap and gown orders. If you still have a balance on your Jostens order and have not picked up your items, please see the sales rep at this time
Jostens plans to be here on Friday, April 2nd from 11:00am to 1:00 pm to deliver graduation announcement orders.
If you have a balance due, please bring it at this time with cash or money order only.
If you need to place a cap and gown order, please see the sales rep at this time.
Please remember Checks are no longer accepted as method of payment for your graduation order.
Senior Check out and Cap and Gown Delivery is May 14, 2021. This event will be held in the afternoon in conjunction with the Project Grad Tailgating party. (Details will be announced later)
Jostens is allowed to offer their services within the school as a service to our students. It is not mandatory that you purchase announcements from them. Their contact is: Jostens 816-523-4900
Senior Class Meeting from 10/21/20 (Link)
Jostens had a virtual class meeting with Seniors during Yellowjacket Success Time on October 21st. They presented information about purchasing cap & gown, graduation announcements, and most importantly, senior hoodies and sweats.
To order online:
To place your order online, please use this link: https://union.thegraduationcenter.com/home?school_id=9
If you order online, hoodies and other products will be shipped to you, or you can pick them up from the Josten’s office.
If you have any questions concerning graduation orders, please contact Stephanie Parrish with Jostens directly. She can be reached at Stephanie.Parrish@jostens.com
Seniors! Don't forget to RSVP If you're going to attend Project Grad on May 14th
This year Project Grad is a tailgating event for Seniors only to be held this Friday, 5/14/21, In the parking lot at CHS.
Please use this link to let us know if you plan to attend: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeIlA2TeccTFzysmpKdUqdoK0SuJR5H4Ns0La0RbR5AF-EGMA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Please join us for the next project grad meeting via Zoom.
Topic: Project Grad Class of 2021 Parent Meeting
Time: Apr 15, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 858 3803 5383
Dear Senior Parents,
2020 isn’t shaping up like we hoped in 2019, but we do what we must to get by. While graduation is still months away, and no one knows what things will look like in May 2021, we’re going to prepare for the best and start planning Project Grad for the Class of 2021.
Billee Potts will be heading up the Project Grad 2021 committee this year and needs your help. If you have a senior who will graduate this year, please contact Ms. Potts to see how you can help her with Project Grad. It may not look the same as it traditionally did, but the Committee is committed to providing some sort of celebration for our seniors this year.
Please contact Billee Potts at (816)679-2237 or Msbillee@gmail.com
We look forward to hearing from you soon,
Seniors, if you need to send transcripts to colleges please login to your Parchment.com account and send your transcript for Free. (After July 15th Parchment transcript requests will cost you $5 each, don’t delay do it today.)
It is important when you register with Parchment.com, that you use your personal e-mail address and NOT your school e-mail address because you won't have access to your school e-mail after you graduate.
If you have questions see the Registrar, Mrs. Thurn.
Required Testing for Graduation
ALL Seniors must take the ACT, SAT, ASVAB or COMPASS test to be eligible for graduation. All Seniors MUST take the ASVAB test this year. You will find a link below to sign up for a testing time.
In addition, 2021 Graduates must also have successfully completed the following End of Course Exams:
- Algebra I & II
- English 10
- The Missouri Constitution
- The US Constitution Test
Be sure to double check with your Guidance Counselor to make sure all these requirements will be met in time for you to graduate in May. DO NOT WAIT until the last minute to take one of these tests.
Information on Graduation Requirements and ASVAB Testing:
Tentative End of Year Senior Calendar
The following events/dates are tentative and may change date/ format or be cancelled as situations and government mandates change. We are hoping for the best, but preparing for less optimal eventualities. Please check the CSD and CHS websites for change notices as the school year progresses.
Feb 4, 2021 Senior Cap & Gown pictures by appointment at CHS
April 13, 2021 Academic Banquet
The banquet and ceremony will not be held due to COVID restrictions. CHS will produce a brochure with senior bio focus and yard signs will be placed at the homes of all cohorts.
May 1, 2021 Prom – Not expected to happen
May 3-14, 2021 AP Testing as directed by College Board
May 4, 2021 Honors & Awards Ceremony This event will be moved to May 19, 2021 during the senior breakfast before graduation rehearsal.
May 14, 2021 Jostens cap & gown pickup will be right before the Project Grad event.
Project Grad Tailgating celebration 5-7 pm.
Project Grad is sponsoring a tailgating event in the parking lot of CHS for Seniors only. (no family or friends).
May 24, 2021 Graduation Ceremony 7pm (Graduates must report at 5:45pm)
We are excited to share some GOOD NEWS with our Center School District community. Pending the current local, state and national guidelines at that time, we will hold Graduation on Monday, May 24, 2021 at Starlight Theatre! We are thrilled to have the opportunity to recognize and celebrate our Class of 2021 graduates. It was a great event for the Class of 2020, and we are looking forward to also offering the opportunity to this year’s graduating class.
Staff have been working with students to engage in graduation conversations and the overwhelming preference has been to host a live, in-person celebration. We have taken this feedback to heart and are planning a ceremony in an outside location that allows for social distancing while also celebrating this important milestone. As a non-profit organization, we are appreciative of Starlight Theatre for working with us to celebrate the Class of 2021 in such an iconic Kansas City setting.
Please know, we will need to continue to adhere to health and safety recommendations. Plans may evolve and require adjustments due to regional COVID-19 numbers. Starlight Theatre will require all participants and attendees to wear masks and undergo a temperature check before entry. Starlight Theater has also created a process to social distance and all guests will be asked to sit in assigned seats. Due to current capacity limitations, each graduate will receive six tickets. Tickets will have seat numbers and families, or friends must sit together in blocks of six. All guests must sit in their assigned seats to allow for proper social distancing guidelines. If inclement weather is forecasted, we have also secured a make-up rain day on Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
We have plans to live stream this year’s graduation again, so family and friends unable to attend can watch from the safety of their homes. Additional planning details will continue to be refined and we will share more specifics in the coming weeks, however we wanted to share the good news and allow parents and students to save the date. We look forward to this special evening in being able to recognize our 2021 graduates…. under the stars!
Students must attend the graduation rehearsal to attend the ceremony.
The number of tickets distributed will be reduced to accommodate COVID restrictions.
Diplomas will be distributed on site immediately after the graduation ceremony.
There are no other events scheduled after the ceremony.
This certainly hasn’t been the Senior Year you’ve been looking forward to for the last 4 years, but there is one small light coming up on February 4th: Senior Portraits / Cap & Gown Pictures!
That’s right, we’re still having Senior Portraits on Thursday, February 4th from 3 – 7 pm by appointment only.
Please use this link to sign up for an appointment time: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/CenterHighSchool@center.k12.mo.us/bookings/s/Ml-eHAg0DEKhG1Lty5ZUEg2
You can pre-order your pictures through the LifeTouch Website at MyLifeTouch.com using picture day ID: EVT877W3M
You have three options to choose from:
1. The school will provide a cap and gown for you to use for your picture. Caps and gowns will be sanitized between each use with an approved COVID disinfectant.
2. If you have an older sibling or friend who will let you borrow a cap and gown, you may wear your own for the picture.
3. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing the schools cap and gown, or just want a formal senior portrait, you are welcome to forgo the cap and gown and just have a formal picture taken in your favorite outfit.
Again, no one is required to attend this event, wear, or borrow a cap & gown, or participate in any activity that makes you uncomfortable, CHS is simply making an official portrait opportunity available to you.
How it will work:
· Seniors must sign up for an appointment through the Bookings link above.
· Seniors should arrive at the school and go to the back door of the Gold Gym at the corner of the building by the soccer fields at the time of their appointment.
· Masks must be worn at all times except while having your picture taken.
· Students will have their temperature taken. If a student has a temperature outside the acceptable range the Nurse will advise they not be admitted. And students who do not have all their vaccinations complete will not be allowed in the building.
· Student will proceed to the dressing area to prepare for picture then proceed to the photo booth.
· If a student has borrowed one of the school cap & gowns, after they have their picture taken they will return the cap and gown to the Nurse for treatment, and the student will leave the building. All other students will exit the building directly after having their picture taken.
· We understand that Seniors have not seen each other all year and might want to stay in the gym to socialize, but we cannot allow that. All students must remain physically distant and exit the building as soon as their picture has been taken.